The Benefits of miraDry Treatments
Summer is here, and along with it, sweltering heat in most parts of the world. While summer is a great time for relaxing by the pool and spending time outdoors, no one loves the sweat that comes with it. It’s damp, sticky, smelly and – even though everyone sweats – usually very embarrassing if you’re around other people. Antiperspirant and deodorant can help, but for some clients of Dr. Steven Goldman, it’s just not enough. This is where miraDry comes in.
What is miraDry?
MiraDry is a unique treatment developed by Miramar Labs. That has been proven to solve the problem of excessive underarm sweat. It was FDA approved in 2011. It is a non-invasive and safe treatment for almost with excessive armpit sweat to use. It was also approved in 2015 to permanently remove underarm hair. MiraDry is the first FDA-cleared device available to halt unwanted underarm sweat and hair growth while eliminating odor-producing glands. So you win on three different fronts! As of now, the technology can only be applied to underarms.
How Does It Work?
In a nutshell, miraDry works by destroying sweat glands. It uses electromagnetic microwave energy to target sweat glands and wipe them out for good using thermolysis (decomposition by heat). The energy is delivered deep into the skin and should be delivered carefully by a skilled dermatologist.
What Are The Benefits of MiraDry?
- MiraDry is safe. It is true that we need sweat to cool our bodies and push out harmful toxins. MiraDry treatments, performed by Dr. Steven Goldman MD, do not inhibit the body from performing these tasks. While it may appear that we produce more sweat from under our arms than the rest of our body, only two percent of four million sweat glands subsist in the underarms. As of now, very few side effects have been linked to using miraDry. Any side effects are localized to the injection site and disappear within a few weeks.
- MiraDry is permanent and effective. Sweat glands cannot grow back, so the effects are permanent. Unlike Botox, which can block sweat glands for 3 to 6 months, miraDry is a lasting solution. The University of British Columbia proved in April 2012 that miraDry was effective in over 90% of patients, and it received a satisfaction rating of 90%.
- MiraDry can help when nothing else can. MiraDry was specially designed for people suffering from axillary hyperhidrosis (sweaty armpit syndrome) as well as people who suffer from axillary osmidrosis (foul-smelling sweat). These disorders make normal and even prescription antiperspirants and deodorants ineffective. However, it’s not reserved for people with these conditions. The miraDry can eliminate embarrassing stains, yellowed shirts and the intense discomfort of excessively sweaty underarms.
- MiraDry treatments are quick, easy and virtually painless. Numbing cream is applied to the underarms before the treatment to help minimize any discomfort from the following numbing shots. A stencil is used to target the area where hair grows under the arm. Each miraDry treatment takes about 20 minutes per arm. For most patients, any swelling from the treatment and sweating will disappear within a few weeks. Three treatments are recommended, but after one, most patients expressed satisfaction with the results.
- MiraDry does more than stop sweat. The miraDry treatments, as they reduce sweat, also destroy apocrine glands, which is where the odor comes from. If you’re not a fan of armpit hair, the treatment also damages the hair follicle, so your hair will become sparser and may even disappear.
- MiraDry is non-invasive. There is no surgery involved in the miraDry treatments. This means less discomfort and a quicker heal time. Because the electromagnetic energy is targeted to the deeper layers of the skin where the sweat glands are, the top layers of skin are protected and kept cool, reducing ugly scarring or tissue damage.